Sunday 13 May 2007

Microsoft Visual Studio Plug-in for BlackBerry Application Development

Found this on the BlackBerry web site: Visual Studio Plugin. As a committed BlackBerry user and part-time Visual Studio developer I can't wait to give this a go.

My initial thought was that BlackBerry had ported the CLR to run on their platform. It turns out however, this is a forms based development environment designed to interact with web services with a bit of JavaScript thrown in for the detail.

Now this is reminding me of all the other dreadful 'simple' and 'fast-track' development tools that seem impressive in a demo scenario but don't give you any degree of control when you actually try and develop something useful. But I'll stop being cynical and reserve judgement until I actually get my hands on it.

It's currently in closed beta, not part of the in-crowd I guess ;-), so as soon as I get my hands on it I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments: